Often called the twin city of Mumbai, Pune is a unique and lively metropolis in Maharashtra. With tons of great places to visit in and around the city, avid travelers will love to explore the wonders of Pune Tourism. While Pune itself has numerous interesting attractions to keep you busy, it is the range of spectacular places to visit near Pune in the monsoon that really steal the show.
The monsoon in Pune is one of the most beautiful seasons, enhancing its natural beauty to the fullest. During the Pune monsoons, the valleys and ghats offer amazing perspectives of towering hills, landscapes, and enthralling journeying courses. These places located near Pune make great weekend getaway spots, especially during the monsoons, which bring out the best in them.
Since rain clouds are just around the corner, let’s take a look at some of the best places to visit near Pune in the monsoon and set your weekend plans straight.
Places to Visit Near Pune in Monsoon which are less than 100 km away:
- Lonavala-Khandala: The twin hill stations of Maharashtra, Lonavala, and Khandala, are among the best places to visit near Pune during the monsoon. Their spectacular mountain views, shimmering lakes, historic caves, and forts are enough to leave you awestruck. You can spot unusual birds at Sausage Hill, trek to Tikona Fort and Tung Fort, enjoy beautiful views of Pawna Lake, Duke Nose, and Bushy Dam.
Distance from Pune: 66.7 km for Lonavala (approx. 1 hour) & 71 km for Khandala (approx. 1.5 hours)
- Kamshet: A natural paradise of migratory birds, Kamshet is among the few places to visit near Pune during the monsoon. Located just a short distance away from the city, the region is perfect for a refreshing day trip. Explore Bheds, Karla, Bhairi, etc. caves, visit Kondeshwar Temple, enjoy paragliding at Shinde Wadi Hills, and trek to Lohagad.
Distance from Pune: 48.9 km (approx. 1 hour)
- Mulshi: Truly a fitting destination during the monsoon in Pune, Mulshi is a hidden gem located near Pune, known for its ravishing natural beauty and relaxing environment. Trek across forests and glorious forts like Koraigadh and Dhangad, visit the ancient Vanja Mata temple, and enjoy the panoramic views of waterfalls and lovely valleys.
Distance from Pune: 44.0 km (approx. 1.5 hours)
- Rajmachi: Another superb place to visit near Pune in the monsoon, Rajmachi adopts a luscious avatar come rainfall. With remarkable waterfalls, numerous meandering streams, and amazing views of the Sahyadri Range, you can enjoy a refreshing holiday in the lap of nature. Explore attractions like Manaranjan Fort or Shrivardhan Fort and enjoy trekking or camping with friends and family.
Distance from Pune: 170.8 km (approx. 3 hours)
- Andharban Trek: Setting you up for a veritably exciting trek, Andharban is an enchanting forest and a must-visit during the monsoon in Pune. Covered places to visit nearby Pune, Andharban is at the peak of its beauty during Monsoons, making it one of the top destinations near the city during rains. Visit beautiful Kundalika Valley, Bhira Dam, and other scenic places, and trek with friends and family.
Distance from Pune: 10.1 km (approx. 25 min)
- Lavasa: Lavasa is an irresistibly attractive and popular travel destination, and during the monsoons in Pune, the location is even more attractive and beautiful than ever. Characterized by the magnificent Sinhagad Fort, the view from this place is simply too brilliant to ever forget. Apart from relaxing and sightseeing, there are a lot of thrilling activities that you can enjoy here, including archery, rappelling, camping, Burma Bridge, and zip line.
Distance from Pune: 57.5 km (approx. 2 hours)
- Sinhagad: Discovering this popular place to visit near Pune in the monsoon is certainly a great weekend treat for Punekars. Characterized by the magnificent Sinhagad Fort, the view from this place is simply too brilliant to ever forget. Enjoy the scenic and pleasant trek from Katraj to Sinhagad and visit the lovely Panshet Lake at Pavana dam.
Distance from Pune: 37.6 km (approx. 1.5 hours)
Places to Visit Near Pune During Monsoon which are located 100 to 300 km away:
- Kolad: The perfect place to visit near Pune in the monsoon, Kolad is an all-encompassing destination. Offering opportunities for adventure water sports, natural beauty, forts, temples, and more, it is a great weekend getaway spot. Enjoy adventure activities like kayaking, rappelling, camping, river rafting, and explore sights such as Tala & Ghosala Forts, Kuda Caves, and Bira Dam.
Distance from Pune: 113.4 km (approx. 3 hours)
- Thoseghar Falls, Satara: The ancient capital of the Maratha Empire, Satara, is also home to a gorgeous waterfall, Thoseghar Falls, located nearby. Showcasing a valley of beautiful flowers, it is a splendid destination during the monsoon in Pune, worth visiting. Explore the nearby forts, set out for a picnic at the falls and the lovely Kaas Plateau, and capture the beauty of the regional flowers at Sajjangarh with your camera.
Distance from Pune: 139.1 km (approx. 3 hours)
Mahabaleshwar: Known for its immense natural beauty, Mahabaleshwar is a popular weekend getaway from Pune. It is a plateau region surrounded by evergreen forests and picturesque valleys, making it even more enchanting during the monsoon. Enjoy sightseeing at Arthur’s Seat and Wilson’s Point, take a boat ride on Venna Lake, and indulge in activities like paragliding.
Distance from Pune: 120.6 km (approx. 3 hours)
- Malshej Ghat: Malshej Ghat is a spectacular travel destination that offers the best of everything. It is known for its ecstatic natural beauty and a range of engaging adventure sports. During the monsoon, the region becomes even more captivating. You can enjoy birdwatching, hiking, camping, and visit the Shivneri Fort.
Distance from Pune: 119.7 km (approx. 3 hours)
- Tapola: Known as the “Kashmir of Indian West Coast,” Tapola is a famous monsoon destination near Pune. It is blessed with the beautiful Shivsagar Lake and offers opportunities for trekking, cycling, and enjoying the stunning vistas of the Koyana and Solshi rivers. You can also go for a speedboat ride at Shivsagar Lake.
Distance from Pune: 146.5 km (approx. 4 hours)
- Matheran: Matheran is the smallest hill station in India, but it is exceptionally beautiful. It offers 38 viewing spots that become even more attractive during the monsoon. Enjoy stunning sunrises and sunsets, visit lakes, parks, and temples, take a ride on the Neral-Matheran Toy Train, and indulge in adventure sports like hiking and paragliding.
Distance from Pune: 119.2 km (approx. 2.5 hours)
- Bhimashankar: Bhimashankar is not only famous as the revered home of one of the 12 jyotirlingas of Lord Shiva but also as a great monsoon destination for a refreshing road trip. Pay homage at the Bhimashankar temple, visit the Bhimashankar Wildlife Sanctuary, and enjoy trekking from Shidi Ghat to Ganesh Ghat.
Distance from Pune: 110.3 km (approx. 3 hours)
- Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary: Located in the charming Western Ghats forest region, Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary is an ideal place for a trip away from the city. It offers a range of flora and fauna, cascading waterfalls, boating at Koyna Lake, camping, picnics, and visits to temples, dams, and lakes.
Distance from Pune: 146.8 km (approx. 3.5 hours)
- Karnala: Karnala is known for its echoing melody of chirping birds, rich flora and fauna, and marvelous natural environment. It is a perfect place for birdwatching at the famous Karnala Bird Sanctuary, trekking to Karnala Pinnacle, and exploring the ruins of Karnala Fort.
Distance from Pune: 121.8 km (approx. 2 hours)
- Kalsubai Peak: Perched on the highest summit of the Sahyadri ranges, Kalsubai Peak offers an unforgettable mountain holiday experience. It is known for its trekking trails, the old temple at the peak dedicated to a local deity, and striking views of Bhandardara Lake.
Distance from Pune: 179.7 km (approx. 4.5 hours)
- Igatpuri: Igatpuri is a hidden gem in Maharashtra, surrounded by thick green woods, an old fort, waterfalls, and mountains. It is a quaint and idyllic place for travelers, mountain climbers, and trekkers. Enjoy trekking to old forts, hiking, mountain climbing, and camping amidst enchanting natural beauty.
Distance from Pune: 247.6 km (approx. 4.5 hours)
- Mhaismal: Mhaismal is a lesser-known but breathtakingly beautiful hill station in Maharashtra. Its lush green surroundings make it an undeniable place to visit, especially during the monsoon. Explore the nearby Ellora Caves, visit temples, discover Devgiri Fort, and trek to Charanandri Hills.
Distance from Pune: 263.5 km (approx. 5.5 hours)
- Silvassa: Silvassa is the capital of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and is known for its Portuguese heritage. It offers beautiful beaches, thrilling adventure sports options, evergreen wildlife sanctuaries, and a range of resorts and water parks. It’s a great place to have a good time during the monsoon.
Distance from Pune: 305.5 km (approx. 5 hours)
- Amboli: Amboli is a laid-back place in Maharashtra, located closer to Goa and the western coast. It is known for its relaxing atmosphere, natural splendor, and sightseeing options. Visit the Hiranyakeshwar temple, enjoy the waterfalls in their full glory during the monsoon, and soak in the tranquil environment.
Distance from Pune: 346.5 km (approx. 6 hours)
Wow! compiled an extensive list of amazing places to visit near Pune during the monsoon season. It’s a perfect mix of nature, adventure, and relaxation. Mahabaleshwar, Malshej Ghat, Tapola, Matheran, and Bhimashankar sound like great choices for nature enthusiasts and trekkers. Koyna Wildlife Sanctuary and Karnala offer unique experiences for wildlife and birdwatching lovers. Kalsubai Peak and Igatpuri are ideal for those seeking adventure in the mountains.
Silvassa seems like an intriguing offbeat destination with its Portuguese heritage, and Amboli’s relaxed atmosphere makes it a perfect getaway. Whether it’s exploring waterfalls, going on treks, or simply enjoying the lush greenery, there’s something for everyone in these beautiful destinations.
Remember, safety and preparedness are essential while traveling, especially during the monsoon season. Always check the weather conditions and take necessary precautions for a safe and enjoyable trip. Thank you for sharing this fantastic list of places to visit near Pune in the monsoon!